• question-icon

How can severe gastritis be treated?

Posted on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Very severe Gastritis, HELP!! I can't eat without feeling like I'm going to vomit, so I just don't eat. I'm down to 123 lbs now and I am 5' 10". I know I should be taking probiotics and other supplements because I am nutrient deprived from going vegan, but I refuse to take any form of a pill on an empty stomach.

I have a gastrologist appointment in two weeks but I have been waiting nearly a month to get in there and I can't take this anymore!! lost my job and can't do anything with my days. it makes me so miserable that I don't want to be alive.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Start with Zantac injections

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns . I would recommend that you take a test for h.pylori infection which can be the cause of your gastritis . gastritis can also be triggered by stressful conditions such as losing a job. in the meanwhile , since you cannot eat or take medications then you start with Zantac injection twice daily. once your symptoms start to improve you should start eating soft foods as jelly , soup , vegetables and fruits .. you should take proton pump inhibitor as omeprazol twice daily together with ranitidine (Zantac ) tablets before every meal to decrease acid production. you can also use an antacid when needed. I hope I answered your question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 25 minutes later
any other suggestions? not sure how to inject Zantac, I usually take 150 pill every morning. just stopped taking omeprazol because I was taking it twice a day for weeks. I'm concerned about my body going into shock at this point. I have no motivation/appetite to eat. let alone cook, just went to the grocery store because I was going to make vegetable soup but just ended up walking out
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
IV fluids

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

As I've recommended earlier, you should take a test for H. pylori firstly, as it might be the cause of all your gastric problems. Also, you can take Zantac pills instead of injections...

If you feel symptoms are worsening further, and you are going into shock then you should go to the hospital for IV fluids therapy immediately.

I hope you find this helpful.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 12 minutes later
went to the hospital earlier today, got a litre of IV fluids. got a stool culture done last month ( assuming H. pylori would habe shown if I had it) forgot to mention my stools have been pitch black all week, but the did a test on it today and said there was no blood. I don't believe the test because there's no way there isn't blood in it from the looks of it. I've gotten the doc I had today at the hospital and he doesn't know what he's talking about, tried to give me 4 different types of medications at once on an empty stomach and also wanted to put his finger in my butt instead of simply letting me use the restroom for a sample, which I ended up doing.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Upper git endoscopy

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I would recommend that you get an upper git endoscopy as Black stools may indicate the presence of a peptic ulcer .. I hope you find this helpful.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 59 minutes later
Ok thanks for the input
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
you are welcome, kind regards
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman