How can severe diarrhea be treated in a child?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 30 Nov 2018 in Child Health
Question: Dear Doctor,
My Son suddenly got stomach pain today. And after 30 minutes he pass the stool. It was semi-liquid condition. Again after 30 minutes, he pass the stool in watery condition in very small amount ( Diarrhea type). Again after 1 hour he pass the stool in the pant itself in very small amount.
He is 8 years old and weight is 45 kg. His final exam is going on. Kindly suggest the medicine.
Kind regards,
XXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ORS is the mainstay of treatment.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Your child is suffering from diarrhea which could be due to food poisoning. It could be due to contaminated food or improper hand hygiene.

The mainstay of treatment is ORS (oral rehydration solution). Unless the lost salts and fluids are replenished the child would become dehydrated. The urine output needs to be monitored. If the frequency comes down it indicates dehydration and calls for additional supplementation of fluids. But if the child becomes lethargic you would need to take the child to a hospital without delay. The cause is self-limiting and does not need to be treated with antibiotics unless the stool is blood stained.

Give zinc supplements like Zinconia Syr. You need not worry. It should gradually return back to normal. Also give curd or yogurt since it contains plenty of beneficial bacteria and should help. Alternatively you can give some probiotics like Enterogermina.

The loose stools may persist for 2-4 days before it resolves. Please be patient. Feel free to write back.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for detail advise.

My son's final school exam in going on. So, can you suggest some medicine to control the diarrhea urgently ( cure the infection ). And if he pass the stool more than 5 to 6 times per day, which medicine should be given.

Also suggest the dosage of probiotics and medicine for stomach pain.

My son is 8 years old and weight is 45 kg.

Kind regards,
S K XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Viral diarrhea will take it's natural course irrespective of treatment.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back. Please be informed that no medicines will reduce the frequency and duration of diarrhea. You can give Zedott XXXXXXX and see if it helps. Treatment is supportive and the mainstay is ORS.

Enterogermina needs to be given for the next few days.

Decolic Syr. when needed will relieve the abdominal pain.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 46 hours later
Dear Doctor,

1. Pls note that now the diarrhea is in control and he is passing normal stool. Thanks for your kind advice.

2. Today my son is Sneezing for nearly 5 to 6 times. He is having nasal congestion and stuffy nose ( nasal mucus / thick fluid is inside the nose ) from yesterday. No cough.
He is 8 years old and weight is 45 kg. Pls suggest the medicine. Thanks.

Kind regards,
S K XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for the update.

Detailed Answer:

1. Thanks for the update. Good.
2. Not a cause for concern. Give steam inhalation. Give some antiallergic like cetirizine once daily for the next few days. Give saline nasal drops. Should resolve in around a week.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Diptanshu Das, Pediatrician