• question-icon

How can severe depression be managed?

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Mental Health
Question: i think i need to see a psychiatrist can you help me?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Let me know how may I help you

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I am DR Ashok Kumar, consultant psychiatrist from XXXXXXX

I will be glad to assist you in process of complete mental health.

Let me know what made you to think about seeing a psychiatrist in detail manner to understand the problem.

Thanks again.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 6 minutes later
when i was 13 years i was sexually abused and i was trying to forget and make my self normal but it seemed like it didnt go away for i have acting abnormal i just dont understand why i cant think and aware of what im doung i married 2x and got divorced last 2 months ago and i felt so depressed that all i think now is just to end my life i tried to focus but its so impossible all i want is to cry and hurt feelings wont go away i want to end this feeling but i dont know how pla help me
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It seems depression

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

The available description points toward possibility of depression after the recent stressor in form of divorce and other antecedent experiences since childhood.

Loss of attention and concentration, past history of traumatic experience, loss of self esteem, pessimistic attitude toward life and desperation to end these negative experiences are typically present in depression.The possibility becomes more as there is past history of depression few years back.

In today's world depression is completely treatable illness and there is good possibility of complete recovery. I am not sure about your past experience but I hope the past experience reaffirms by statement regarding good prognosis of depression.

Regarding treatment both medication and psychotherapy are useful. The psychotherapy will be better choice as there are no side effects and I guess it will be more suitable for you in compare to depression.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to contact me for further assistance.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 35 minutes later
can i have some medications and how wd u aquire a pschoteraphy?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pristiq could be a option for you

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

Considering your age, current presenting complains and pattern of depression I feel pristiq could be a better option for you. In my clinical practice I prefer pristiq for post menopausal women and get good results in them.

I do not mean that the other medications are less effective but I just mean than pristiq is better alternative among the available antidepressants for you.

Regarding psychotherapy you need to approach a local therapist. In case that is not possible there are some online CBT programs which can be of help for you. Although there are many but https://www.online-therapy.com/depression could be of really helpful for you.

I hope this helps you.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist