How can severe cough in a child be treated?

Dr. Eric Goldstein

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Child Health
Question: My son spent the night at my in-laws Friday night. When he came home he had a slight cough. Since then the coughing has intensified constantly to the point that I was up with him all night. i have tried everything I can think of. humidifier, cough drops, honey, sleeping sitting up. nothing seems to bring even the slightest relief. I now even hear a wheezing sound as he breathes. Our urgent care doesn't open until 130 and I hate for him to wait that long for some relief. this is my first time attempting a doctors apt via app and not sure what exactly to expect. my son is 4 years old.
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cough

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question.

Based on your description, your son has developed either a sinus infection or a walking pneumonia. Both of these can be treated and cured. From this standpoint, it is ok to wait until 1:30 to have him seen at the urgent care, even with the wheeze. However, if you feel he is very uncomfortable, or he is struggling to breathe, it would be wise not to wait and to take him to an emergency room instead. Ambulance is not necessary, and you don't have to speed to get there. You can take him there and they will do the same for him as the urgent care center.