How can severe constipation in a child be treated?
thanks for ur suggestion...she is also on breastfeed... how much water i can give her daily..for now she is tking only 30ml...will it cause cold to baby with more water intake or not...
Increase water intake. Increase the number of mashed fruits.
Incidentally, constipation in children has become a very frequently encountered problem these days. You need to increase water intake. The amount of fiber-containing foods in the diet also needs to be increased. As of now, mashed fruits and mashed boiled vegetables will serve as a source of fibers. But gradually include fiber foods.
Fiber-rich food items include:
* Apples, pears, parsnip, berries, raspberries, kumquats, guavas, squash, oranges, passion fruit, avocado, blackberries, pomegranate, currants, persimmons, kiwi fruits, figs, bananas, blueberries, cherries, apricots, strawberries, tangerines, papaya, mangoes, pineapple, plums, litchi, grapes, watermelon
* Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, lettuce, brussels sprout, carrots, leafy vegetables and spinach, amaranth, artichokes, green peas, collard greens, XXXXXXX sweet potato, okra, fennel, eggplant/brinjal, sweetcorn, beets, turnip, asparagus, onions
* Legumes, beans, lentils, chickpeas, celery, soybean, navy beans, cranberry beans, french beans
* Whole grains, quinoa, brown rice, millets and oats, squash and pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, dried coconut, almonds,
* Flax seeds, chia seeds, corn XXXXXXX
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I could help further.
As of now, about 30 ml of water can be given
Please continue breastfeeding until 1 year of age, or more. Gradually increase the number of top-up weaning feeds. Start with liquids like dal and fruit juice. Gradually increase the thickness (semisolid). As you do that, you need to give water (slightly warmed) along. The amount will vary with the number of semisolids or weaning foods given. Just think of it as a diluent. No specific amount. But unless you give an adequate amount, the stools would be hard.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr. Diptanshu Das, Pediatrician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Child with severe constipation need a remedy
- How to cure severe constipation
- How to heal severe constipation
- How to treat severe constipation with ivf
- Child with severe constipation medication taken is laxopeg help
- How to treat severe constipation and upset stomach
- Severe constipation and thrush
- Severe constipation problem how to cure this
- How can i treated severe constipation
- Severe constipation during chemotherapy