How can severe constipation in a 6-month-old child be treated?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2019 in Child Health
Question: Hello doctor, My 6 month old son is constipated for three days. He is exclusively breastfed and im planning to start solids from next week. He is a bit cranky what can I do to ease the constipation and make him go potty?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on constipation.

Detailed Answer:

Babies of this age, who are exclusively breastfed, may pass motion once in10 days or 10 times in a day also.

As far as the baby is active and feeding well and there is no blood in the motion, you need not worry at all.

But if you really want to do something about it - I suggest giving few scoops of Papaya which is the best natural laxative.
While the baby is being given complementary feeds, make sure you do not give excess ragi as it is constipation sometimes.

I wish your kid a bright future.

Kind regards,
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician, Pulmonology