How can severe cold, cough and sneezing in a child be treated?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hello doctor..my five month old baby has a cold for the past few days and he was sneezing and counghing occasionally..today is the third day into the cold and the coughing has been more on the higher side..whay should I do?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like cough and cold of viral cause.

Detailed Answer:

Cough and cold are viral 95% of the times in children. For cold you can use anti-allergics like cetirizine and for nose block, saline nasal decongestants will do. Paracetamol can be given , that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

For cold you can use Cetrizine.

For nasal block, plain saline nasal drops will do, every 4-6th hourly to relive nasal congestion.

Hope my answer was helpful for you.

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician, Pulmonology