How can severe acid reflux be treated?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I seem to have bad refulx at night after dinner and when i am in bed and when i wake in the morning.

Feels tight in the chest and acidy with a lump kind feeling in my thraot.
I am on losec but only take it when i need to but the last few days i have had to take some mylanta at night to slightly help.. why is it at night and the morning the most?
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stomach acid reaches the food pipe easier when in lying position

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. The reason why your acid reflux is worse at night and in the morning is that when lying down, the valve between the stomach and the food pipe is more relaxed and the acid passes freely to the food pipe, causing heartburn.
I recommend you avoid any food or drink, except water for at least two hours prior to bed time, avoid spicy food, sugary drinks and caffeine and take Prilosec 40mg twice per day for seven days. Using a high pillow and lying on your left side also helps reduce the reflux.
I hope this helps. If you have further questions I'd be happy to answer them.
Wishing you good health and all the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 1 hour later
ThankS

It is now 10am and i still have a lumpy feeling in my throat and chest feels tight
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Prilosec twice per day is the answer

Detailed Answer:
I understand your concern. After chronic exposure to stomach acid, the food pipe inner lining becomes inflamed and irritated giving you the sensation of a lump in the throat and chest.
Use an anti acid such as Malox for short term relief but start using Prilosec twice per day regularly and you will be able to get long term relief in 24 to 48 hours.
If this does not happen and despite taking he medication you don't feel any better then please see a doctor for further investigation.

Wishing you all the best
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ornela Ademovi