• question-icon

How can severe abdominal pain be treated?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My spastic duodenum is acting up and I have pain in my stomach area causing me to double up. What can I take to relieve my pain?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antispasmodics.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.

At first let me give you a small briefing about mechanism of pain in spastic colon case.This would help you to understand how medication would help you.

-The term "spastic colon" describes the increase in spontaneous contractions (motility) of muscles in the small and large intestines associated with IBS. These contractions are sometimes called spasms.So to relieve pain all we need is medication to settle down spasm(as contraction is relieved pain would go away).

Dicyclomine is an anticholinergic drug.An anticholinergic agent is a substance that blocks the neurotransmitter acetylcholine in the central and the peripheral nervous system. Anticholinergics inhibit parasympathetic nerve impulses by selectively blocking the binding of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine to its receptor in nerve cells.

Mebeverine is an antispasmodic medicine and is very useful in IBS and is well tolerated by patient with minimal side effects. Mebeverine works on certain muscles in the wall of your intestines, causing them to relax.

Clidinium bromide is an anticholinergic (specifically a muscarinic antagonist) drug. It may help symptoms by relieving spasms and relaxing intestines..

Chlordiazepoxide works by increasing the action of GABA, a chemical messenger which suppresses the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.Can be used in combination with above mentioned medicines.

Ask your Gastroenterologist to start you initially on clidinium bromide and mebeverine combination initially for 21 days.
Follow up after 21 days.

Hope i was able to explain you well.
Feel free to follow up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist