• question-icon

How can severe ADHD in a child be treated?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: who can I speak with regarding a child with severe ADHD ?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

The best practitioners for ADHD to consult with are pediatricians and child psychiatrists as well as child psychologists who specifically specialize in this disorder. The child psychiatrist can try to optimize treatment with medications. The psychologist can work with the child and family for behavior modification techniques and skills that can make their lives easier and more manageable.

If your child is school age, if she does not already have an IEP (individualized education plan) with help from the special education staff, that is something to consider.

I hope this information helps you in pursuing help for your child.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 9 minutes later
ahe has been on an IEP since first grade as well as medication
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Ok that's good.

A Psychologist who has training in addressing ADHD is also needed, and consider a nutritionist/dietician too, as some people with ADHD benefit from dietary modifications.

When asking for help from any of these practitioners, the more history you can provide regarding
- what has been tried and the results
- what her particular difficulties are
the more specific the practitioner can be in providing you with information.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 24 minutes later
she has a dietitian and a psychologist already
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
I'm not sure how I can help as I don't know what specific questions you have. As a family practice physician, I thought what you wanted to know was how to find appropriate practitioners for referral for your daughter.

What I can say that might help is how to navigate this health care site to get the most out of it:

At the beginning of your question, write in capital letters what type of specialist you want to answer your question, such as "FOR ADOLESCENT PSYCHIATRIST ONLY". Then the appropriate type of doctor will respond to your question. It can take several hours for that to happen, depending on which doctors are online.

Follow this by writing very specifically what the problems are, what has been tried, and what you are hoping to learn.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh