• question-icon

    How can severe ADHD in a child be treated?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: who can I speak with regarding a child with severe ADHD ?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

The best practitioners for ADHD to consult with are pediatricians and child psychiatrists as well as child psychologists who specifically specialize in this disorder. The child psychiatrist can try to optimize treatment with medications. The psychologist can work with the child and family for behavior modification techniques and skills that can make their lives easier and more manageable.

If your child is school age, if she does not already have an IEP (individualized education plan) with help from the special education staff, that is something to consider.

I hope this information helps you in pursuing help for your child.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 9 minutes later
ahe has been on an IEP since first grade as well as medication
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Ok that's good.

A Psychologist who has training in addressing ADHD is also needed, and consider a nutritionist/dietician too, as some people with ADHD benefit from dietary modifications.

When asking for help from any of these practitioners, the more history you can provide regarding
- what has been tried and the results
- what her particular difficulties are
the more specific the practitioner can be in providing you with information.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 24 minutes later
she has a dietitian and a psychologist already
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
I'm not sure how I can help as I don't know what specific questions you have. As a family practice physician, I thought what you wanted to know was how to find appropriate practitioners for referral for your daughter.

What I can say that might help is how to navigate this health care site to get the most out of it:

At the beginning of your question, write in capital letters what type of specialist you want to answer your question, such as "FOR ADOLESCENT PSYCHIATRIST ONLY". Then the appropriate type of doctor will respond to your question. It can take several hours for that to happen, depending on which doctors are online.

Follow this by writing very specifically what the problems are, what has been tried, and what you are hoping to learn.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 3136 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Adhd

doctor1 MD

While on vyvanse, I become dizzy very easily, and tend to black out for a few seconds if I stand up too quickly. My hands lack their original...

doctor1 MD

hi, i dont have any health insurence right now but last time i talked to my docter we were testing my blood for hyperthyriod. i am 99% sure i do...

doctor1 MD

My daughter, who is on 40mg of Vyvanse daily for ADHD by mistake took three pills at once, thinking she was taking her vitamins. She weighs 120...

doctor1 MD

over the past year I have built up a high tolerance to 70mg Vyvanse taken 1 every morning. this past week it has completely stoped working....

doctor1 MD

My son is currently taking atomoxetine 80 mg and serttaline 50 mg and has been experiencing hallucinations and paranoyia. He went to the ER last...

doctor1 MD

please answer my question by a psychiatrist what is the most effective way to make my 70mg vyvanse work as well as it did before building up...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

122 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh
  • Q - Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain

  • Q - What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose

  • Q - What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?

  • Q - What causes pain near the navel area?

  • Q - What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?

  • Q - Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation

  • Q - Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle

  • Q - Suggest medication for ADHD

  • Q - Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis