How can scaly plaques over the scalp be treated?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Wed, 21 Jun 2017 in General Health
Question: Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Athavale ,
yes and i have followed your instructions and i think you are right. I have used a coal tar shampoo, used the vinegar, and got a clarifying shampoo. i still haven't got through all the plaque on my head. There are lots of time i stand in the shower and wash it 3 times in a row with the clarifying shampoo. I letit sit on my head 5-10 minutes at a time. I know its working cause my hair will feel super sticky. The 3rd time i wash it I just do the bottom of my hair to get rid of all the sticky stuff. When i comb out my hair all kinds of crap falls out. Sometimes its a white pasty substance, sometimes orange, red, even black. It's not always soft and plyable sometimes hard as a rock.Any other suggestions? O and when i continually run my hands through my hair in one spot i can feel and see the white stuff come off and it is moist to yhe point of making the strands of hair wet and sticky.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
suggesting few more options- to be approved by treating dermatologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for the query. I understand your concern.
As I had mentioned before.. the symptoms you have are of Seborrhic dermatitis.It's a chronic inflammatory condition of skin .. with flareups of symptoms in between. So it's a long running condition & needs to be managed well during flareups & also in between.
Mostly local treatment with medical shampoos, cremes & lotions are sufficient to manage the condition .. as described in detail earlier. But when it is not controlled with it, following additions need to be considered & added to the treatment plan as per need.
-Anti histaminic drugs- Given with local anti fungal shampoos/ cremes, these help in controlling itching
- Keratolytic drugs like urea can be added.. specially when the scabs get hard like rock ( as you describe it )
-Anti androgenic agents-Excessive secretions of sebaceous glands is characteristic of predominance of male hormones ( as is seen in case of poly cystic ovarian disease in women)Based on this fact after hormonal assessment - anti androgenic agents( like Spirinolactone ) are given to improve the condition in few months.
- Immuno suppressant tropical creme can help to resolve the condition
- Photo therapy- With specific ultra violate rays helps in inhibiting fungal growth.
* Please understand the suggested treatment additions need to be approved by the treating dermatologist so as to suit your personal needs . So I would suggest to discuss them with your doctor .. before using .
Though management of the problem needs lot of patience & persistence.. a determined & positive approach & expert dermatologist's guidance would definitely help.
I hope you find the query helpful & informative. Any more information you need , please feel free to ask. I would like to help.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad