• question-icon

How can runny nose and severe cough in a child be treated?

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in Child Health
Question: My 2 year baby running nose and terrible cough not letting him sleep in night gave nebulizer dublin and budecort with amoxylin syrup plz help
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely due to allergy

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I do understand your concern.
I have seen the reports and it shows raised eosinophil which suggests some allergy along with low hemoglobin and low MCV/MCH which can be due to iron deficiency.
Here I would suggest you to continue nebulisation with Duolin(helps in relieving airway spasm)and budecort (decreases the flammation). Also continue Amoxycillin which will take care of infection if any.
You may nebuliser with duolin at an interval of four hours. Giving antiallergic syrup like combination of montelukast and cetrizine also helps.
I would suggest you to get iron profile done fir the baby and if the iron level comes low it should be supplemented for 3 months.
If severe cough persists even after nebulisation and baby is breathing fast, irritable, not able to take the feed please consult your pediatrician immediately as baby may need supplemental oxygen and emergency care.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Wishing for your baby's rapid recovery.
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology