How can reddish patches in a newborn be treated?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 14 Feb 2019 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My 7 months old baby boy develops reddish patches with round tip in the middle. It occurs in everywhere and disappeared after 3/4 days and again occurs in new area. Could you please let me know the concern n any medication/ solution? Images attached.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 hours later
Brief Answer:

Skin and soft tissue infection. Topical and oral antibiotic for a week

Detailed Answer:

He seems to have bacterial furunculosis. It is a skin and soft tissue infection commonly caused by the bacterium Staphylococcus aureus.

I suggest you apply a topical antibiotic e.g Mupirocin 2 % ointment (T Back Ointment), twice daily.

However, if he is developing a lot of these then it is better to give a course of an oral antibiotic e.g Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid (Augmentin syp) for a week.

These are prescription medications and I advise you to kindly talk to your local practitioner for a prescription of the same.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 7 hours later
Thanks for the solution. Could you please let me know the possible causes? I mean it is due to baby oil/lotion? It started to occurred since he is 4 month old.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 hours later
Brief Answer:

Regarding recurrent folliculitis

Detailed Answer:

Yes, oil application could be a possible cause. Another cause could be a carrier of staph. aureus in close contacts. Therefore I suggest everyone use a liquid sanitizer whosoever handles/touches the baby.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Kakkar S., Dermatologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana