How can reddish patches in a newborn be treated?
Skin and soft tissue infection. Topical and oral antibiotic for a week
He seems to have bacterial furunculosis. It is a skin and soft tissue infection commonly caused by the bacterium Staphylococcus aureus.
I suggest you apply a topical antibiotic e.g Mupirocin 2 % ointment (T Back Ointment), twice daily.
However, if he is developing a lot of these then it is better to give a course of an oral antibiotic e.g Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid (Augmentin syp) for a week.
These are prescription medications and I advise you to kindly talk to your local practitioner for a prescription of the same.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Regarding recurrent folliculitis
Yes, oil application could be a possible cause. Another cause could be a carrier of staph. aureus in close contacts. Therefore I suggest everyone use a liquid sanitizer whosoever handles/touches the baby.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Kakkar S., Dermatologist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- How are black patches on the forhead treated
- How to treat swollen knee with patch
- White patch in neck how to treat it
- How to treat phlegm in newborn babies
- How to treat circle dry patches on my back
- Seizure in newborn how to treat this
- Reddish ring in newborn anus
- Scaley reddish patches on legs
- How to treat brown patch hand
- How to treat newborn babies