How can recurring stomach pain in a child be managed?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on 7 hours ago in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor,
I have two daughters, they are twins and about 3.3yrs old. One of them has recurring stomach ache from the past 5 days, her stools were semi solid and greenish yellow in color. We have been giving her enterogermina from last night. Now she has also started to develop mild fever, for fever we were planning to give Dolo drops, but for her stomach pain can we continue to give enterogermina for a few days?
Her symptom is such that as soon as she eats she gets stomach pain and then passes stool, and after that there is some relief.

Please advice.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Viral gastritis.

Detailed Answer:

Your child has an episode of gastritis, possibly due to a viral cause. You can continue to give Enterogermina but proper fluid replenishment with ORS (oral rehydration solution) should be done. Giving juicy fruits like citrus fruits should help in replenishing the salts and would ease the situation. You also need to give some antiemetic like ondansetron when needed. Give Dolo (paracetamol) to bring down the temperature, if raised. Also, give tepid sponging.

You may give Lanzol Junior for the next few days. Please be patient. But if the child grows lethargic you would have to rush him to the hospital. Monitor the urine output. If it is reduced you would need to increase the fluid intake and if that does not suffice you might need to visit the hospital.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Diptanshu Das, Pediatrician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana