How can recurrent lower back pain be treated?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Dear Doctor,
I am a 42 yr old woman experiencing acute low back pain that is recurrent. Happened 2 nd time this year. Since the back pain subsides in 2 weeks time, the doctor never suggested that I get an x ray done. I am in bed rest for last two days due to Spasmodic pain and unable to sit or walk. Pain is more acute this time. Currently taking the same medication prescribed by last doctor, myoril 4mg thrice daily x 5 days and signoflam twice daily x 5 days. Started medication yesterday. Minimal relief so far. How do I recover quickly ? Secondly, since this is a recurrent episode, should I get an x ray once I am better ? I would apprdeciate your kind reply.
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be a muscular strain.

Detailed Answer:
Common causes of low back pain are-

Poor postural habits
Muscular strain
Ligaments sprain
Herniated disc
Spinal stenosis
Osteoporosis
Fibromyalgia
The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• You can get an oral muscle relaxant prescribed for proper pain relief in addition to the medicines you are already taking.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.

Adequate rest and proper nutrition is equally important. Drink lots of fluids since dehydration affects the disc. Eat a diet rich in fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables, nuts, milk, eggs, pulses and cereals.Do brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes daily. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily.
Proper diagnosis involves investigations like ultrasound of the abdomen, X-ray and MRI of the spine after an examination by your primary physician.
The treatment will then depend on the cause.
Hot fomentation and oral muscle relaxants can provide a temporary relief till then.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: How can recurrent lower back pain be treated? 24 hours later
Dear Dr.Tayal ,
I'm still awaiting your reply . Today is my third day of immobility due to lower back pain .Which medicine should I take after completion of the 5 days dose of Myoril 4mg and signoflam if my back pain does not improve ? Kindly prescribe the medicines for the purpose mentioned . Thank you .

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Proper investigations like MRI scan are needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If Myoril and signoflam does not help then you will need proper investigations first to find out the cause of pain. Lumbar traction at a physiotherapy clinic can help. Do consult an orthopedician for a direct examination.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.