Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

How can recurrent UTI and vaginal irritation with lax vagina be treated with history of hysterectomy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 577 Questions
i had surgery 15 years ago (hysterectomy) with what my doctor termed a "bladder tuck"..what was the most common treatment/surgery used then and can i have more surgery now that will help of take care of the feeling that my vagina is too large? sex is often painful and i have suffered with urinary and bladder infections and vaginal irritation for years in spite of the aforementioned procedures
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 7 hours later
Thanks for the query.

The recurrent Urinary tract infections and vaginal irritation and lax vagina are all functions of old age rather than hysterectomy done on yourself 15 yrs back.

Regarding the lax vagina you can do vaginoplasty or labioplasty to treat the problem.

You can also do pelvic floor muscle exercises. Any midwife, nurse, physiotherapist, or doctor can teach you to do them. However, you'll need to do them intensively for six months in order to get much improvement. To get you started, try this:

Tighten up the muscles at the front of the lower part of your body - as if you were trying hard to stop yourself peeing.Hold this contraction for 10 seconds.Relax for 10 seconds.Contract again for 10 seconds.Continue to contract and relax like this for a full five minutes.Repeat four times daily.

Regarding the urinary tract infections you need to get investigated with ultrasound, urine examination and pelvic examination.Since they are recurrent it will lead to renal infections later in life.
You will need to consult an urologist for this.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor