How can radiating pain from the right side of the lower back to the left abdomen?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 4 Oct 2019 in Back Pain
Question: I am having pain on right side lower back and it hurts all the way through to abdomen left side. I went by doctor's office and left urine sample but it is not bladder infection. They suggested I see my primary care Dr but they are short staffed and I have to take a friend this afternoon for a cat scan. Coukd this be anything srious or is it maybe a pulled muscle?
e-mail is YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may be muscular

Detailed Answer:

A bladder infection would be associated with urinary symptoms such as frequency on urination, pain on urination, change in odor or color of urine etc

It is possible that it may be muscular or issues with the lower back (arthritis or other changes). If the pain is severe and cramping then it is possible it may be a urinary stone (a stone in some aspect of the urinary tract). That causes severe pain that extends loin (from the back) to groin (into the abdomen down to the groin in some persons).

An ultrasound or CT would identify a stone.

If the pain is not in the region described for a stone then muscular or bone issues, may be the reason and the use of an anti inflammatory pain medication may be enough to help you eg ibuprofen, naproxen etc

I hope this helps ,feel free to ask any other questions