How can prostate cancer be treated?

Excellent
Question
What treatment would you recommend. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. 30% of tumor is pattern 4, 70% is GS 3. 9 of 12 core sample had cancer 15% of all core tissue.
Cribriform Pattern not identified, periprosatic fat invasion not identified, intraductal carcinaoma not identified. PSA 5.2 . I am very healty 70 year old - I bike about 20 km a day - commute to work winter and summer, whitewater kayak and xc ski. I old send copy of report but not sure where to upload. thank you
Mon, 14 May 2018 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treatment depends upon the staging

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. I have gone through the details. So you have a prostate cancer of XXXXXXX score 7 with an excellent performance status. The treatment will depend upon the staging. If localised to prostate, i will recommend surgery. If locoregional or metastatic, then a combination of hormonal and radiotherapy will work for you.. You require atleast an mri of abdomen and pelvis and a bone scan to identify the stage.
Thanks and regards
Feel free to ask further

Follow-up: How can prostate cancer be treated? 8 hours later
Do you usually recommend an mri and bone scan before having the surgery. And do you recommend surgery over external or brachytherapy radiation?

thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello. Yes, mri bone scan are must

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. Mri and bone scan are necessary as they decide the treatment part. Surgery is the best option, if disease is well localised to prostate only and patient is young and fit.

Thanks and regards

Follow-up: How can prostate cancer be treated? 1 hour later
Well I am not so young, 70, but very fit - ride a bike about 20 km a day etc

Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
A fit patient is considered young

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. A fit patient who has a life expectancy of 10 years is considered physiologically young.
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: How can prostate cancer be treated? 39 minutes later
Thanks - why do you think surgery is a better option than external or brachytherapy radiation

thanks again
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgery is better

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. Surgery gives the benefit of removing all the disease and hence is a better option.
Thanks and regards