question-icon

How can potassium levels be increased?

Posted on Fri, 29 Apr 2016
Question: I am currently taking 40 mg of Lasix a day and I take 120 mg of potassium a day but my potassium will run so low at times I will get short of breath, can’t walk by myself and sometimes I will pass out. What can I do to keep my potassium level up?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
fruit, low salt diet

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question. You do not say why you are on the lasix but if you must be on a diuretic it may be more helpful for you to be on something like spironolactone which actually is a diuretic that raises potassium.
If you must be on lasix then eating plenty of fruit, especially berries can raise your potassium especially if you are on a very strict low salt diet.
Consider the DASH diet which you can find online to help with the low salt diet.
I wish you the best and let me know if you have further questions
Dr. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson