• question-icon

How can postprandial hypotension be treated?

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I am 73 yrs old and for the past few wks. I feel lightheaded and weak all over after eating to the point of having to lay down. I have been dieting and have lost approx. 12 lbs in the last month
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible Diagnosis : Post prandial hypotension

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

Postprandial hypotension is characterized by decreased blood pressure after eating and is characterized by dizziness and even fainting in some people.
This is due to the fact that after eating, there is increased blood such to the intestines, making blood available less for circulation to brain and other parts of body. Normally, our body and heart responds immediately to normalize the blood pressure. However, as age advances this response mechanism lags resulting in post prandial hypotension.
Management of post prandial hypotension includes
-drinking a glass of water 15 minutes before eating
-Eat small frequent meals instead of larger portion 3 times a day
-Avoid processed sugary food including processed white flour, sugary drinks etc
-Include high fiber protein rich in your diet
-Lie down for few minutes after eating

Please follow the above-mentioned measures and see if it helps.

Regarding the weight loss, looking 12 pounds in a month is significant. Even if your weight loss is intentional ,I re commend that you follow up with your primary provider to rule out thyroid problems or any other cause for weight loss.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal