Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

156 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How can persistent tinnitus with a misplaced jaw be treated?

Answered by
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 1936 Questions

Posted on Fri, 12 Oct 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am 33 years old and have tinnitus. It's not as bad as some people have it. it is consistent in both ears and can usually be ignored. however, recently I feel it may have gotten louder. I'd like to just give some facts on my situation and learn what my one might be. -I've had tinnitus since I was very young, as far back as I can remember -it is one consistent tone -i can make it louder by clenching my jaw, moving my neck hard to one side or the other and moving my eyes hard to one side or the other. I am told this may be indicative of a treatable type of tinnitus -i am certain my jaw is out of place. It clicks when it moves and sometimes I wake up unable to open it at all and have to force it back into place. -i had tubes in my ears when I was a kid. Also, I took a lot of antibiotics when I was a little kid for ear infections. I would love more than anything to get rid of it. If this type is indeed treatable or you know of any of the methods online that work, I'm very open. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 4 hours later
Brief Answer:

Tempromandibular joint disorders

Detailed Answer:


However, treatment of tinnitus depends on the underlying cause. For example, if it is caused by anatomical abnormality, then surgical fixation will probably relive the problem.

In your case, the symptoms you are experiencing with your jaw, suggests a temporomandibular joint disorder. It is reported that temporomandibular joint disorders can be the underlying cause of tinnitus.

I highly recommend that you get a CT scan or an MRI scan on your temporomandibular joint and refer to a head and neck surgeon for an arthroscopy.

This is a minor procedure performed under general anaesthesia in order to inspect and repair the joint. In many cases repairing the joint will provide relief from the tinnitus.

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care

Dr Salah Saad Shoman, Internal Medicine Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on