Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

How can persistent rashes be treated?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
68, 5'10'', 185. used to look young for my age, but am begining to slide quickly. Have people thinking I've gotten a sunburn, but spend most of my time indoors. Wear glasses, and there is a pale area around my eyes as if the glasses are preventing the redness. Have been getting rashes on scalp and arms and upper chest. They are red and itchy. Treated with cortizone and urea alleviates the rash, but it doesn't really go completely away. get pitikia, and skin tone is down. Easy to get scrapes. Have a rased crusty area in places where I use fingers to turn on lamps, etc. distal knuckles all have circular scabby areas like scar tissue. Used to get blister like and persistent sores (not very painful) in these areas, but that no longer happens. Have a pinkish rash around the hair growth between knuckles. All of this is a culmination of about three years of ever increasing symptoms.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 17 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

From everything you have submitted it sounds like you have developed a variant of psoriasis. Would it be possible for you to submit a photo of some of the typical looking skin changes?

If this is psoriasis it can also present with other systemic symptoms such as fatigue and joint pains. It is somewhat of an autoimmune process and can sometimes be treated with topical or oral medications.

It sounds like you are a vibrant 68 year old and this should not limit the extent of your physical and social activity.

I await the photos if you are able to send them. I thank you again for your query. I hope you found my response to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,   ,  

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor