How can persistent itching be treated?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I need relief from very intense, very persistent itching.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
different aspects of treatment

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Intense itching can be due to different possible causes. The most common causes are --(1) skin conditions such as psoriasis or eczema
(2)allergies
(3)liver or kidney disease
(4)thyroid disease
(5)side effect of medication
(6)infection such as scabies, lice , chicken pox, fungal infection
(7)urticaria
(8)lymphoma

If you want to find out the cause, if not related to the psoriasis, then different blood tests would be needed and possibly a skin biopsy

TREATMENT-----(1)avoid any allergens if there are particular allergens that cause this reaction
(2)cetirizine or benadryl antihistamine
(3)may also need a course of steroid (5 to 7 days) to help reduce reaction
(4)medication such as montelukast or ketotifen that act at different points in the allergic or itchy reaction, may also help as well
(5)application of a topical steroid cream to the worst areas

In very bad allergic or immune reactions, persons use meds such as zantac or pepcid.These medications are usually used for the stomach to stop acid but they work by reducing the level of histamine in the body
Because they reduce the level of histamine, they are sometimes combined with other antihistamines when persons have very bad reactions

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions