How can persistent diarrhoea be treated?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 5 Sep 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: How can I turn off non-stop diarrhoea> 10-12 times since 5 a.m? There is nothing in there but clear yellowish liquid. I can't get the sphincter to help.

Both ends of my digestive track are now cleaned out. I have a headache which I assume is because I am dehydrated despite the constant sipping of water sugar and a salt concoction I read about on the web.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Time for IV rehydration.

Detailed Answer:

I've seen persistent diarrhoea happen with viral gastroenteritis or with food poisoning. My guess is this is a viral gastroenteritis ("stomach flu").

It is time for you to go to the ER. If a person is not able to keep in even sips of water and is becoming symptomatic from possible dehydration, it's time to get help.

In the ER they will draw your blood to check your electrolytes which can be out of balance with persistent gastrointestinal losses.

And they will give you IV fluids, possibly with potassium since that is usually depleted with diarrhoea or vomiting.

They will likely also give you an antidiarrheal medication through the IV.

Just getting bowel rest, where you aren't putting anything more in your digestive tract, and getting rehydrated and electrolytes are often enough to stop or slow down the cycle.

I've seen this happen with viral gastroenteritis.

You have tried what you can, but now it's time to get help.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh