Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

149 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How can persistent diarrhoea be treated?

Answered by
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 3102 Questions

Posted on Wed, 5 Sep 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: How can I turn off non-stop diarrhoea> 10-12 times since 5 a.m? There is nothing in there but clear yellowish liquid. I can't get the sphincter to help.

Both ends of my digestive track are now cleaned out. I have a headache which I assume is because I am dehydrated despite the constant sipping of water sugar and a salt concoction I read about on the web.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Time for IV rehydration.

Detailed Answer:


I've seen persistent diarrhoea happen with viral gastroenteritis or with food poisoning. My guess is this is a viral gastroenteritis ("stomach flu").

It is time for you to go to the ER. If a person is not able to keep in even sips of water and is becoming symptomatic from possible dehydration, it's time to get help.

In the ER they will draw your blood to check your electrolytes which can be out of balance with persistent gastrointestinal losses.

And they will give you IV fluids, possibly with potassium since that is usually depleted with diarrhoea or vomiting.

They will likely also give you an antidiarrheal medication through the IV.

Just getting bowel rest, where you aren't putting anything more in your digestive tract, and getting rehydrated and electrolytes are often enough to stop or slow down the cycle.

I've seen this happen with viral gastroenteritis.

You have tried what you can, but now it's time to get help.

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care

Dr Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on