question-icon

How can persistent cough, throat irritation and chest heaviness be treated?

Posted on Mon, 6 Aug 2018
Question: My wife (46 years) is having incessant bouts of coughing which increased significantly last night (every 2-5 mins) and was awake thru the night.

The cough has been for more than 10+days. There was fever intermittently over the past few days and she took crocin.

Heaviness in the chest, irritation in the throat.
Lying down position and changing of sleeping position aggravates it.
She also has continued her dancing practice and there is very less of the cough during the dance class.

We have tried home remedies like hot water+honey+turmeric,
ginger paste,
turmeric+honey (last night this stopped the bouts of coughing for an hour but resumed again)
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha (1 hour later)
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation is the mainstay of treatment

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due a viral infection which usually also has an allergic component. Treatment is supportive and usually comprises of antiallergic medication and mucolytic. Tablet Montair LC (monteleukast + levocetirizine) is a prescription medicine which should help. Cetirizine is an over the counter alternative that can also be used instead.

You need to take steam inhalation. It helps in reducing the congestion. The water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief. Gurgling with lukewarm water, on the other hand, will help in relieving the throat irritation. The choice of giving honey and turmeric yours to make. Ginger paste however, should be helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha (4 hours later)
should we continue with Amoxicillin or replace with Montair as you suggested? what should we do when there is cough every 2 mins like last night?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha (5 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation should help

Detailed Answer:
Montair LC is not an antibiotic like Amoxycillin and therefore the question of replacing does not arise. Antibiotics do not help in a viral infection. However, since you have started it, please complete the course.

You need to give steam inhalation and wait. It will take a few days for the condition to improve.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha (9 minutes later)
what should we do when there is excessive coughing every 2 mins?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha (9 hours later)
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
You need to give steam inhalation. The cough will not go in a day. You would need to be patient. Meanwhile Montair LC will reduce the allergic trigger for the cough.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha