How can persistent cough be treated?

Pulmonologist
Question
My wife has a persistent cough that has lingered for months. In the morning, as soon as she eats almost anything, she begins coughing. She coughs up light yellow mucus initially, followed by foamy, clear, somewhat elastic mucus. The cough usually lasts up to 6 hours and completely debilitates her. Her doctor has for the last about 3 weeks treated her with allergy shots to combat environmental allergies, to date no effect. She has tried puffers like BREO which seem to make her cough worse. She has tried other puffers, OTC allergy remedies, prescription allergy meds, but nothing seems to work. Please advise.
Sat, 14 Apr 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
probably acid reflux coexist

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking in HCM

Yes i can understand your concern

According to the history you provide if she was my patient i would recommend her some tests as follows :

Chest X Ray
Spirometry test
EKG

and start treatment with antigastric reflux medications too (like Nexium twice) .Sometimes gastric problems might be the other cause of the cough.

Please discuss with her doctor for the above or if you do them you can attach me the results and i will try to help you again

Regards and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda