How can persistent cough be treated?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Apr 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I am a 54 year old male. About two weeks ago, I started having a deep, persistent cough and no congestion. It was bad enough that I went to see my doctor last Monday. He had blood count and chest xray done to screen for pneumonia. Both came back negative. He also gave me a flu shot, which I questioned, but, he said since I had not had a fever, it was not an issue.
On Wednesday, I developed a fever of 102.5 and severe chills and achiness. I spent the next few days in bed. Tylenol and Advil have enabled me to control the fever, and I am constantly coughing up green mucus.
I now have a new 'complication' - pressure in my head/skull. It is very painful to even cough.
My doctor has said I just have a virus and have to deal with the symptoms until I fight it off, but it feels like matters are getting worse. Could he have missed something?

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Advil and Tylenol are sufficient for pressure in head.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Advil and Tylenol are good painkiller and anti inflammatory drugs.
They are usually good for headache and head pressure.
So no need to take any other drug.
Along with drugs, you should also drink plenty of water orally because dehydration can also cause similar symptoms.
Hypertension also causes head pressure.
So please let me know
1. Are you suffering from hypertension?
2. Have doctor checked your blood pressure?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better.
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj