• question-icon

How can persistent cough be treated?

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Lump
Question: I have had a persistent non stop cough for 4 days.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Still may be a hiatal hernia

Detailed Answer:

Hi and welcome to HealthcareMagic. Thank you for your query. I understand your concerns and I will try to help you as much as I can.

This still may be hiatal hernia related cough even if antiacid medications don't help since hernia may mechanically compress lungs and cause dry cough.

It may cause breathing difficulties, nausea, swallowing difficulties and irritation of stomach.

It can also be aggravated by certain food or medications, stress and smoking. You need to avoid fried food, carbonated drinks, coffee, alcohol and spicy food.

If hiatal hernia is small then it may less likely be related to lungs, such as pneumonia, emphysema, and pneumothorax. in these cases it would have some other symptoms such as fever, pain in chest and productive cough.

At this point, you should follow these dietary changes, avoid long sitting and overeating. You can take cough suppressant (eg. Pholcodine pills, a prescription may be required from your local physician for this) and rest for few days, avoid smoky areas.

If there is no improvement you should do gastroscopy and contrast X-rays of stomach.

I hope I have answered you query. If you have any further questions you can contact us at any time.

Kind regards.
Wish you a good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon