How can persistent constipation be treated in an elderly patient despite enemas and taking Miralax?
Diagnosis: Fecal impaction
The symptoms your grandmother is experiencing is suggestive of faecal impaction. Faecal impaction is common in elderly and is due to faecal matter obstructing lower bowels.
Since she has been on laxatives and has even been given an enema with no result, she will require mechanical (digital) removal of faecal matter.
Digital removal of faecal matter can be done by health professionals in a hospital setting. If the emergency room wait time is long, she can visit the nearest urgent care.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Lekshmi Rita Venugopal, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can miralax cure constipation?
- How effective is miralax for chronic constipation
- Dosage miralax for severe constipation
- Constipation in toddlers miralax
- Still constipated on miralax
- Constipated painful stools on miralax help
- Kids on miralax still constipated
- Should child with constipation be given miralax
- Causes of persistent constipation
- Still constipated after miralax
- Suggest treatment for chronic rhinosinusitis
- Suggest treatment for chronic constipation
- What causes severe muscle and upper body pain?
- Suggest remedies for delayed menstrual bleeding
- What causes intermittent sharp pain in the groin area while walking?
- Suggest ways to deal with behavioral volatility and emotional outbursts...
- Suggest treatment for pinched nerve spasms in the shoulders, neck and arms
- What do itchy rashes on the legs indicate?
- Suggest treatment for rashes between leg and scrotum
- What are the interactions when Bisoprolol, Amlodipine, Lisinopril and...