Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

124 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How can persistent and severe shoulder pain be treated?

Answered by
Dr. Kampana

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 686 Questions

Posted on Wed, 10 Oct 2018 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi, I am writing in regards to my mom. She can not reach in any way, to hang clothes up, get anything from a shelf in the kitchen, or even able to reach into her freezer or freezer door. Her shoulders are in constant pain,
pretty severe at times. Her doctor doesn't seem to do much for her at all. She had told her today that she had a frozen shoulder, but has not even suggested giving her anything for the pain or what she can do for it. I almost want to cry seeing her in so much pain. On top of that she is dealing with severe pain in her right leg, mainly her knee, which is swollen. She has had these conditions for a long time now and it is really getting unbearable for her to deal with anymore. Her doctor just told her she needs to use a walker to get the weight off of the knee. She is a tiny person to begin with so there really isn't that much weight to her.
Please is there any one who can help her? I know some is because of her age, but other than her shoulders and her leg, she is basically in good health. Never been in a hospital other than for maternity.
Answered by Dr. Kampana 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Physiotherapy will help.

Detailed Answer:


I have gone through your details. Due to old age she is having wear and tear (degeneration) of bone joints. Frozen shoulder and osteoarthritis is very common. Symptomatic treatments are best at her age.

She can take over the counter pain killers such as Tylenol twice a day or as and when she has too much pain. After a few days when the swelling of the knee reduces she can go for physiotherapy.

Meanwhile, she can take painkillers and place a hot and cold compress alternatively on the swollen knee.

For frozen shoulders also she will have to get physiotherapy and continue the exercises

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care

Dr Kampana, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on