How can peritoneal irritation after liver biopsy be treated?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2018
Feb 2018

General Surgeon
Question
I HAD A LIVER BIOPSY YESTERDAY. THEY INSERTED A NEEDLE AND TOOK A TISSUE SAMPLE . I AM HAVING A SLIGHT TO MODERATE PAIN IN MY LIVER THIS MORNING. ???
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Slight pain can stay for a few days. Watch for other symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Noted the history and understood your concerns.
Liver biopsy can cause slight to moderate pain. This pain is usually of the peritoneum and usually settles within a few days.
More important is to watch for the following symptoms:
Is the pain increasing?
Is it localized or spreading to other area of abdomen in the right side upper to lower?
Any pain on coughing, sneezing or any activity?
Any other symptoms?

Please consult the Doctor if any of the above symptoms are there for clinical evaluation and Ultrasonography and other tests to see for or rule out any bleeding/clotting or so.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.