Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
169 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How can painful swollen feet with small red splotches and burning sensation be treated in an obese woman?

Answered by
Dr. Sagar Makode


Practicing since :2013

Answered : 1800 Questions

Posted on Fri, 18 Oct 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have leg pain and feet swelling with small red splotches and burning in feet
just started after husband passed and I noticed I have higher blood pressure 140/75

I am over weight gained to 200 then after husband passed I now have lost 25lbs. so far I am trying to watch myself with salt but it seems all the food I buy has salt
I work at a pharmacy and I don't want to take supplements I've never smoked and I don't drink but on occasion my husband was a smoker and he died from lung cancer and copd.
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to get venous Doppler of lower limb

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking,

Considering your age and profession, the first possibility is of varicose veins. Do you have any visible dilated veins over the leg, if yes then it supports the diagnosis. So an Ultrasound Doppler-scan should be done to rule out or rule in the cause.

Another possibility is of heart issues or age-related edema of feet. If ultrasound is normal then you should get ECG and echo done to look for a cause.

So at present, if possible try to rest in between. Elevate your legs especially at bedtime. Have low salt diet for edema. You should get prescribed tab Torsemide 5 mg at 8am for edema.

Also, please try to have a healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty, oily and high-calorie diet. Have low salt diet and monitor blood pressure regularly thrice a day for one week then once or twice a week. If bp is persistently more than 140/90 mmHg, then you should be on medicines for it. Get your lipid profile and sugars tested once.

Hope this helps you. Please get back if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on