How can painful sore throat, swollen lymph nodes and headaches be treated?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 6 Aug 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I developed a sore throat, very painful, and swollen lymph nodes, very tender, and headache, only in the late evening. I am taking Guaifenesin 1200 mg every 12 hours.

There is a blister-like area on left tonsil scar

These symptoms are occurring for the last 4 days.

Otherwise I feel good. No cough, no nasal congestion. No elevated temp at anytime, day or night.

No medical conditions. Occasional sinusitis usually responsive to Guaifenesin, sometimes need Augmenting too.

Had sinus surgeries X 2, last in 2000. The right nasal passage is narrower than the left.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 57 minutes later
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Brief Answer:
Inflammatory lymph node...

The enlargement of the lymph nodes is secondary to the presence of infection in the throat. The scar-like thing could be either an ulcer over the tonsil or slough or a mucocele. Unless examined thoroughly, the actual diagnosis cannot be made.

Secondly, if it's infection of the tonsil, then, you would be better off with a course of Augmentin. If it is an ulcerative lesion, I strongly feel you would require a short course of low dose oral steroids to get relief.

If you could send me the image of the lesion, I would be able to help you in a better way.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad