• question-icon

How can pain when diagnosed with gonorrhea be managed?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I just got my std test results back yesterday. They came back positive for gonarreah. I'm trying to wait patiently for my prescription to come in, but I am in so much pain now I can't sleep. Is there anything I can do to ease the pain in my penis while I wait for antibiotics?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You should use ibuprofen or acetaminophen.

Detailed Answer:
Hello! I have been through your question.

Related your concern I think you should use ibuprofen or acetaminophen in order to relieve the pain in your penis.
Usually, it is recommended to treat the gonorrhea infection with ceftriaxone and oral azithromycin after the prescription by an ID specialist.
Furthermore after the treatment for gonorrhea you shouldn't get sexual activity for 7 days and your sexual partner must do the gonorrhea treatment as well in the same time.

I hope my answer helps you.
I wish you a quick recovery.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 15 hours later
I got my antibiotics i was perscribes 2 azithromycin 500 mg and 1 suprax 400 mg. I took them at about 6. Ive been drinking water all day and had a large meal before i took the pills. The discharge has decreased. But now the discharge has a little red coloration in it and my penis has started burning again. Is it ok to take more ibprofin?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can continue to use ibuprofen.

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thank you writing back.

I am happy to hear that your situation is better.
But if you have pain again you can use ibuprofen and should retest for gonorrhea after the 14 days.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist