Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

How can pain in the tailbone area after injury be treated?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 1210 Questions
I bruised my tailbone on friday. Im in severe pain and it burns. I have pain medicine and it keeps it at a dull roar.
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
rule out a fracture

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

I agree with you that a bruised tailbone is very much painful.
Often the pain remains constant throughout and resistant to get relieved as it is the weight bearing part of our body in sitting position.

Only taking pain killer medicines wont help much.You need to take a Sitz bath.It means that you need to apply a local analgesic gel over the painful part and sit in a broad tub with lukewarm water.This needs to be done for 10-15 minutes at a time for 3-4 times a day.

Avoid sitting on hard surfaces and sitting for longer periods of time.

If you do have to sit,you should sit on soft cushioned surfaces or take a pillow beneath.

If these measures do not help,you should consult an orthopaedic surgeon and get an Xray done to rule out a fracture of the tail bone.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How can pain in the tailbone area after injury be treated? 2 hours later
What about the burning sensation?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
methylcobalamin tablets

Detailed Answer:

Burning sensation is usually a result of inflammation of nerves in that area.
Taking methylcobalamin and folic acid tablets will be helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor