• question-icon

    How can pain during penetrative sex be treated?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Dear Doctor
Last week I was having an intimate moment with my fiance (She is 25 and I'm 29) and wanted to have sex. But my penis couldn't go inside . She felt a lot of pain so I withdrew my penis.
The factors that I felt could be :
1.Although my penis was pretty shaft was rock hard , I felt the head to be soft .
2. It was first time for both of us and I felt it too tight I couldn't even enter.That might be due to softness
3. A lot of precum discharge already happened and I wasn't able to find a proper way to enter

Please suggest some remedy considering these cases

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Regarding your concerns related to sexual intercourse

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr.kakkar (dermatologist and venereologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.

Pain during penetrative sex is due to lack of adequate lubrication since lower 1/3rd of vagina is the most sensitive part. Lack of foreplay could be the reason for inadequate lubrication and moreover since most of the lubrication required for sexual intercourse comes from the female genitalia rather than from male precum. So my advice for you would be to indulge in a bit of foreplay prior to penetrative sex to facilitate lubrication. This would not only make the two of you comfortable with each other but would also lower performance anxiety as well as facilitate penetration.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 8 hours later
Thanks.for the response doctor.We had ample foreplay as well. While feeling her vagina I could see it was wet from outside. I'm really not sure is it because of anxiety of pain .
Also I felt my penis head couldn't go in due to some softness.
Are there any medicines I need to take ?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding your concerns related to sexual intercourse

Detailed Answer:

Fine. There does'nt seem to be any major issue.
My advice would be to be a bit slow with her in vaginal penetration. Sometimes anxiety/ fear of painful sex or other psychological issues can lead to contraction of vaginal muscle and painful sex. If it continues to be a concern she may consult a gynecologist who may suggest some vaginal exercises.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Kakkar S.


Practicing since :2002

Answered : 8986 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Anxiety

doctor1 MD


doctor1 MD

I am a 42 year old female with many symptoms, dark patch on my leg, back of the neck area, joint pain, extreme exhaustion, sleep problems, no sex...

doctor1 MD

I m not able to concentrate and is having fatigue for more than 10 years. This was noticed when I was 18 year old. During this time I developed...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have been getting a fuzzy feeling in my head, almost as though someone is shaking my skull, on and off, with some weakness to my left hand...

doctor1 MD

Hi. I am a bit concerned about the dose of lorazepam that i take. 1mg split in 0.5 morning and evening. It's been 1 month since i started this...

doctor1 MD

I have fluttering in My upper stomach while sitting. Don't notice while standing. It appears worse when I breath out. Does not hurt just flutters

doctor1 MD

I just got a recall back from a mammogram app. I'm very scared, what could it be if not cancer?

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

121 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Kakkar S.
  • Q - Suggest treatment for thinning of skin

  • Q - Is boil inside nose folliculitis a cause for concern?

  • Q - What casues allergic skin rash?

  • Q - How to diagnose herepes type 2?

  • Q - What causes white pimples in vagina?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for headache, acne and weight gain

  • Q - Suggest treatment for dandruff and red spot on scalp

  • Q - What causes non itchy eruption on penis?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for itching acne on hand

  • Q - Suggest treatment for itching sensation all over body