Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

How can pain due to arthrosis be relieved?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 121 Questions
I am 52 years old. I weight 81 kilos and I am 175 centimeters tall. Moving from a warm island to a cold country eight year ago every winter I would get hip and lower back pains. It would last most time until summer. Of course I thought it was arthriitisis. The last two years it have never left, I had it the whole year through. In the last 2 years I have seen a neurologist, a neurosurgeon, I have had MRI, x-rays, CT scan, I have been to 5 physiotherapist, had accupuncture, I have had 5 times injection in my lower spine, taken numerous painkillers, had 15 treatments of chiropractor , done joga, I have seen an internist and a phycologist, but to no avail. MRI showed that I have a narrowing of the lower spine but that the spinal cords were not being compressed and I was told thats normal for my age. After seeing the internist, which was recently and x-ray done again, they could only tell me that they suspect "a bit of arthrosis " at then end of my spine.
I am now taking Amitriptyline 50 mg which does not aleviate the pain. Sometime the pain goes down to the back of my leg and make it difficult to walk erect (friends, family and the doctors) tells me that I walk bending forwards. But forcing my body erect causes much pain. The pain is worst in the mornings (sometimes I can hardly turn over to come off the bed) and it makes me sleep poorly at nights because I have to be awake to be able to shift positions in the night. I have seen every doctor possible but no one can find the problem. I work out at the gym 2-3 times per week and I am an active grandmother of 3 kids ages 2-4-8. I cannot believe in this age of modern technology that I can be in pain 24/7 and specialist are not able to tell me why or give me adequate treatment.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. R.V.Sirisha Rani 29 minutes later
Hi ,
Thanks for the query.

You can try gaultheria oil or oil of winter XXXXXXX so many patients of mine are telling they are relieved of pain with that.

You have to apply the oil on the area that has pain.

Increasing the dietary fish intake and/or fish oil capsules (omega-3 capsules) can sometimes reduce the inflammation .

Take vegetables and fruits that are XXXXXXX in Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Calcium, Omega-3 Fatty acid, Zinc, Magensium and many more.

Hydrotherapy or Water Therapy for treatment of arthritis- Warm water is excellent source to ease and reduce joint pain, they relaxes muscles and increases motion.

Joint Fluid Therapy- It is process of injecting gel in the joints and it act as supplement for synovial fluid to cure arthritis. They include Synvisc, Hyalgan, Euflexxa and others. They are also for temporary relief in arthritis pain.

It is good that you are in active life style, maintain that.

Hope I answered your query.I will be available for followup queries if any.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How can pain due to arthrosis be relieved? 4 hours later
All the specialist and tests/xrays shows that my bones are clean and there is no indication of arthritisis. The information that you give me is for arthritisis, if I understood you correctly.
I take daily amega-3 oil capsules and 1000 cc vitamin C, I am been taking that for years, before my problems even began. I am not a vegetable lover, but I eat broccoli alot and carrots. But I love fruits and eat as many per day as is seasonal.
So no doctor, I dont feel content with your diagnosis.
Answered by Dr. R.V.Sirisha Rani 12 hours later
Hi Marlenegroot
Thanks for getting back.

You have mentioned in your report that you have mild arthrois at the end of your spine.
Arthrosis means an articulation or a joint between bones or A degenerative disease of a joint.

So i have mentioned all possible remedies.

Oil of Wintergreen is useful for all types of muscle&joint pains.You can try that.

Hope I answered your query.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How can pain due to arthrosis be relieved? 10 hours later
Sorry Doc,
But I fail to see how an application of Oil of Wintergreen applied to my rear (thats where the pain is centered....the tail bone) will help me in the long run. That's just a temperary measure, is there no medical treatment that can be administered to relieve or stop this degenerative joint disease?
Answered by Dr. R.V.Sirisha Rani 36 hours later

Thank you again for writing back.

Oil of wintergreen is helpful in acute and severe pain.

It actually does not help in the long run, it does not arrest the disease process. It only relieves the pain and reduces the inflammation in the joint.

You can use it to get relief of pain but nothing more.

As you said, it is a temporary measure.

There is no medical treatment that can arrest the degenerative process.

It can only be reduced by immunomodulatory drugs and immunosuppressive drugs as and when required.

In fact, degenerative joint disease due to advancing age or senility cannot be stopped.

I hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor