How can pain and swelling in the right leg and ankle be treated?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor,
Greetings!!

My kid who is 19 months old now is suffering from mild pain in right leg ankle, he is not able to walk properly due to mild pain and we observed slight swelling on ankle.
He did not fall or jump from any high place, We have been observing that he is walking slowly since 2 days but today he is walking more slower due to pain.

Kindly suggest some solution.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Paracetamol or acetaminophen should help in bringing down the pain.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I would insist you to give Sumol Drops (paracetamol) to the child. It will help in relieving the pain. Also apply cold compress (you may alternate it with hot compress). The pain should resolve in a day or two. If it does not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the region evaluated.

If you provide the body weight of the child I would be able to suggest the appropriate dose for the child.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 21 minutes later
Thank you Doctor for quick and detailed response!!.

My kid is around 12KGs now.

He has mild pain in swelling area only, Is Sumol Drops(paracetamol) to be given orally?.

Could you please suggest any ointment or lotion to apply on the swelling area?.

We would like to follow some primary medication before visiting a doctor.

Thanks again for your kind response!!
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please upload an image

Detailed Answer:
1.8 ml of Sumol Drops is to be given orally per dose. You may give it upto thrice a day. Lotion or ointment will not help. Apply hot and cold compress. Please upload an image of the swelling and I would guide you accordingly.