Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

How can one get rid of burn scars?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 336 Questions
my 8 year old son has burn scars in his upper rt arm how to get rid of it
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Beauty & Cosmetics
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 4 hours later

Thanks for your query.

From the image of the burn site, it seems like an extensive burn, but in the repair stage.

Conservative measures of managing burn scars will always leave scar tissue in some form or the other. Over time, it might get converted into a much clear and better looking scar.

In case, you are interested in not wanting to have the scar in any form, The best way would be a Skin grafting procedure, which can be done by a Cosmetic surgeon.

The other options which might be helpful would be laser therapy.

You might benefit by consulting a cosmetic surgeon or a dermatologist for further treatment and proper guidance.

I hope this helps. I shall be available to answer any other questions or doubts.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How can one get rid of burn scars? 13 hours later
the treatment was in no way conventional or conservative it was strickly as per the supervision of specilist doctors, Futher I have already consulted a visiting cosmatic surgeon from mumbai and it was his advise to massage the effected area with coconut oil & with the passage of time softening of the scar and growth together will eliminate this scar. How far it is correct i dont know . The options provided by you is in no way different from ordinary person having no knowledgr of medical sciences.
further i had posted my question to cosmatic Doctor not to general physician.

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 36 minutes later
Hello ,
Thanks for the follow up.

The meaning of conservative measures, in my earlier answer - was referring to the treatment of the burns when they had occured. It is not to the treatment of the scar that your son already has.

If proper treatment and skin grafting was done after the accidental burn, a large scar tissue would not have been formed.

As i have already mentioned, the scar tissue in your son, is healing and over time it will get absorbed to a better looking one. You can use Mederma ointment daily over the affected part.

Since , your cosmetic doctor who has examined your son has provided the same advice, that i have given earlier, you might follow his advice.

Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor