How can numbness and pain in the lower left leg be treated?

Question
I had total knee replacement Oct 25, 2017. I am experiencing numbness and pain on the inner part of my lower left leg above the ankle area where it seems my artery runs in the diagram and I have plans to trave Dec 7 by olane
Fri, 20 Apr 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
nerve injury can occur with surgical procedures unfortunately

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Numbness unfortunately is a possible consequence of a surgical procedure because nerves may be pulled, compressed or severed/cut, as a result of the procedure.
Any trauma to a nerve can result in abnormal nerve function.

In the case of a nerve being pulled or compressed, this would normally heal but this can take weeks to month in some cases for healing to occur.

If a nerve is severed/cut, then recovery may not occur in some persons.

There are medications that can help with numbness and any abnormal sensations that you may be experiencing.

It would be best, if the discomfort and numbness continue, for you to be reviewed by your doctor.

In many cases, it is a case of watching and monitoring for changes along with the use of medication to reduce the symptoms (if this is necessary).

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions