• question-icon

How can non-healing sores on the shin be treated?

Posted on Sat, 1 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hello I had already asked the question but no answer. my husband has 3 sores on his shin, when I wrote before the dr told me to stop cleaning it with proxide , just clean to keep dirt out and put wet pads on the sore and use antibiotic cream for around the sore. I have done all that, he says it burns and a lot of nerve pain I took pic to show ,,can someone tell me what I can do now? I have done what the dr said and cleaned and put antibiotic cream on the outside of sore. my question now is how can I get the dead skin soft so I can pull it off? its getting holes in the bad skin but the skin is so thick and hard can you please tell me what I can do to soften it so I can pull it off
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please give details and post actual fresh photographs.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your queries and a single photograph.
Read the other questions and answers, seen the photo and understood your concerns about your husband.
Please give me additional information for me to help you and your husband better.
Since when has the problem started?
How was it started?
Does he have varicose veins or any other medical problem like diabetes or so?
Which antibiotic and anti-inflammatory has he been taking or has already taken?
Date of the photo?
Latest photos which should be including the whole limb and showing the knee as well as ankle joints.
Any other information that you would like to share.
In the meantime , I would advise him the following:
Apply Liquid Povidone iodine to the whole leg to keep the area sterile and thus avoiding entry of the secondary bacterial infection. Do this 4 times a day.
Elevation of the affected part above the heart level so that the edema subsides as well as the pain.
Applying the Povidone iodine soaked sterile gauze and/or bandage may help to remove the dead skin at the time of removal of the dressing next day morning.
Continue antibiotic and also needed are:
Anti-inflammatory medicines such as Ibuprofen if it suits him.
Multivitamins as they act anti-oxidants.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to give feedback, post photos and feel free to ask for any further relevant queries.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 8 hours later
I will take new photos tomorrow and show you.he is taking amoxcillin . 1 1/2 months ago it started. he is taking no anti inflammatory at all. he said he has diabeties buy has not been seen by any doctor to confirm.Photo was taken approx 4 days ago. as far as how it happened, he said he had a sore at the bottom by his ankle area , on the pic its the small one.then it just got more then another sore. and that is when i got really concerned and tried to treat it my self since he goes to no doctor.he has no varicose veins. i was using proxide but the other dr said to stop, so now i'm just cleaning it everyday then putting antibiotic cream on the outside of the wounds and putting a wet pad that doesnt stick to wound i make the pad really wet and put it on the wound area only.he says when i start to work on the wounds it really burns and the pain from the nerve starts hurting on the left side of the wound. but he complains about the burning and pain alot that he has to sleep on sofa with the foot on the floor , the one with the sores ,,,thats the only way he can get a little sleep. I really really need some help here. I know that the dead cells need to come off but they are really hard cant get them soft so i can pull them off. I would appreciate any help you can give me. one other question will the iodine burn him when i apply it to the wound? the pics i can send you tomorrow when i go to clean it. thank you and please please stay with me thru this, i just want to help him so it gets better. the only way now is to knock him out or numb the calf area but i have nothing to do either with i wish i did cause then it would be all taken off and on the way to healing.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs Medical attention.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback and the details you have provided.
At least a blood sugar and CBC should be done to know the exact status as infection increases diabetes and diabetes if not controlled will not allow healing and control of infection.
One and half months is a long time to suffer and should be taken care by a Medical professional for proper clinical evaluation, examination, investigations for proper management otherwise he can land in to further complications that can go beyond control.
Continue the treatment as we discussed till he sees a Doctor.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 5 hours later
I thank you for your help but my husband will not go to any doctors. He hasnt seen a doctor in 44yrs. he just wont go. but i thank you for your help, i just hope i can somehow heal this with the help of our Lord Jesus Christ..Have a good day
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
At least get blood and urine sugar done

Detailed Answer:
I can understand.
But at least get the blood and urine sugar at home to know the status and continue good care of the leg and the wounds.
Be Almighty be with you all.
Have a good day and wishing all the best.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon