How can nighttime calf and toe cramps be treated?

Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 12 Sep 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Sometimes in the middle of the night, I get real bad toe cramps where they just curl over and the pain is bad. And, sometimes the bottom of my foot, where is arch is, the pain is bad. I get out of bed just to try and walk for a few minutes and that seems to help. Sometimes, my calf gets cramped. My salt intake is low. I try and drink Tonic Water but that doesn't work. These cramps don't come every night, but when they do, I get out of bed and walk. Then they come & go throughout the night, where in fact I don't get much sleep. I hope you can help me. I thank you.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Could be spinal canal stenosis

Detailed Answer:

I have read the description and in my opinion, this is probably due to spinal canal stenosis where the spinal canal is narrowed and sometimes it increases pressures on the related roots causing pain and cramp like feeling on lying down.

The other possibility is osteopenia. I would suggest sleeping on your tummy, painkillers, muscle relaxants and a combination of Pregabalin and Methylcobalamin.

Also, take vitamin D and calcium. Try for 2 weeks and if you don't feel any relief, get an MRI of the lower lumbar spine.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Gopal Goel, Orthopaedic Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj