• question-icon

How can neuropathic pain after neck surgery be treated?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Pain Management
Question: I have very severe Neurapathy caused by a operation to my neck.

I need relief from pain

XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

The first step in treating neuropathic pain is always physical therapy and over the counter painkillers. I guess you might have already tried those.
If that is the case the second step is medication with drugs for neuropathic pain. There are two main groups, one is antidepressants like Duloxetine which you say to have had a bad reaction to, but there is also the other group which includes anticonvulsants namely Gabapentin or Pregabalin.
If those are not enough opiates may be added as a third step. Although I am not really keen on those due to addictive potential, but tramadol is somewhat safer.

If such conservative measures are not enough perhaps local injections of corticosteroids and analgesics may be considered, they may provide improvement lasting several months and can be repeated.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 27 minutes later

I have tried everything , but the corticosteroids and aanalgesics.

Can you tell me more about thee. I am in a wheelchair - have limited ability to walk - with great pain.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
Local injections are shots containing an anti-inflammatory corticosteroid and/or an anesthetic. The needle is inserted near the site where there is nerve compression and inflammation. So the site and technique depends on imaging, often it is done while the patient is under an x-ray machine so as to guide the needle insertion and achieve best result.

Let me know if I can further assist you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist