• question-icon

How can nausea and vomiting before a colonoscopy be treated?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I need to have a colonoscopy. The problem is that I become so very ill on the clean-out day when taking the prep. I have tried the flavored liquid stuff and the pills. Both induce projectile vomiting and I have even passed out. Any suggestions? My gastro doc has given me Phenergan after the procedure. I wonder if I could take it on the clean-out day also.

Answered by Dr. Sunil 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
i.v injection of ondansetron 8mg. You can take 8mg i.v 8 hourly on clean out day.Thoug only one shot would be more then enough.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.
See easy way out is get a i.v injection of ondansetron 8mg when ever you want to suppress feeling of nausea and vomiting. Ondansetron blocks the actions of chemicals in the body that can trigger nausea and vomiting. One shot of 8mg is effective for 8 hours and you can take upto 24mg i.v in a day safely.
Parental therapy(injectible) won't interfere with colonoscopy,So is the best. Discuss this option with your doctor.
Just get a shot before taking the solution.
Hope i answered your query well.

Feel free to follow up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist