question-icon

How can myopia astigmatism in the right eye be treated?

Posted on Fri, 18 Jun 2021
Question: My son has Myopia Astigmatism right eye.
Below is his eye prescription, showed couple of doctors and they have suggested to wear glasses.
He has been doing good in his studies and other activities all this while so we couldnt figure out that he had an eye problem.
Would appreciate any suggestion or doctor references for the treatment for his extreme eye power.
I am put up in XXXXXXX and looking for a good doctor for his treatment.
OD
Sph = -8.00
Cyl = -1.5
Axis = 30
V/A = 6/18p

OS
Sph = -4.5
Cyl = -00.75
Axis = 155
V/A = 6/15
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra (21 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Regular checkup needs.

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
Your child has myopia, anisometropia and amblyopia.He has to continue using glasses.Other than taking good care of his diet and physical activity,Have regular checkup,every year, at least.Talk to your doctor about possibility of pleoptic treatment to improve the vision of right eye.
If in your yearly examination you find a increase of more than .5 diopter, consult the doctor about atropine treatment.
Consult a big establishment where they have facility for orthoptic treatment and the place should be not too far from where you stay as this may require daily exercises of the eye.
Do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra (2 hours later)
Thanks Doctor for the prompt reply.
Since my kid is only 5 years old will this lead to more complications like blindness he is wearing the glasses promptly.
And the doctor told that the -8 power in his right eyes cannot reduce as negative power never reduces is that true?
If yes then what is the future treatment to correct it.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra (37 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Power will keep increasing.

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Good of you to get back to me.
As the child grows the power will keep increasing till the child reaches the age of 18 to 20.There is no question of blindness but we have to keep an eye on how things are progressing.That is the reason why follow up is required to keep vision up to the mark.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist