Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

How can muscle tear in the shoulder be treated?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10710 Questions
I recently hurt my right shoulder. I'm experiencing pain while doing some movements.
While I try to fold my hand backwards i'm not able to completely reach the neck.
Recently visited a Ortho doc and i was told there is muscle tear which would take weeks heal. I'm not very much convinced with the treatment i'm taking now. Could you please guide me in this.
Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MRI scan is needed.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.
Pain during the complete movement of the shoulder after an injury is suggestive of a muscular tear or a rotator cuff tear. This can be confirmed only after a direct examination and an MRI scan.
You have been prescribed a pain killer and a local analgesic gel. The main treatment of the tear is rest and avoid all the painful movements and overhead activities and let the tear heal on its own.
An oral muscle relaxant may be needed in case the pain is not controlled with the pain killer. You can get an MRI scan done and consult an orthopedician for specific treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sports Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor