How can muscle tear in the shoulder be treated?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I recently hurt my right shoulder. I'm experiencing pain while doing some movements.
While I try to fold my hand backwards i'm not able to completely reach the neck.
Recently visited a Ortho doc and i was told there is muscle tear which would take weeks heal. I'm not very much convinced with the treatment i'm taking now. Could you please guide me in this.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MRI scan is needed.

Detailed Answer:
Pain during the complete movement of the shoulder after an injury is suggestive of a muscular tear or a rotator cuff tear. This can be confirmed only after a direct examination and an MRI scan.
You have been prescribed a pain killer and a local analgesic gel. The main treatment of the tear is rest and avoid all the painful movements and overhead activities and let the tear heal on its own.
An oral muscle relaxant may be needed in case the pain is not controlled with the pain killer. You can get an MRI scan done and consult an orthopedician for specific treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng