Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

How can marijuana smoke affect the unborn baby?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 983 Questions
My boyfriend smokes maraiuana in our apartment and although it is always in another room, I can sometimes smell it in the room I am in. I am worried how this may be affecting our baby who is 2 months old. He never smokes in the same room as the baby, but if I can smell it, the baby must be able to as well.
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 5 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
While passive smoking ( like in this case) with marijuana is known to exist, it has been shown that if the person is doing it in another room, the blood levels of cannabis in the blood are practically undetectable.
Marijuana definitely affects children and they may be certain periods during child development when cannabis can significantly affect the development of the brain. Also, there are signs of inefficient brain function in such a children.
Given this, I would suggest that you tell your boyfriend quit altogether or leave the house when he needs to smoke.
Hope that helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor