question-icon

How can lymphedema in the legs of an obese person be treated?

Posted on Wed, 1 Aug 2018
Question: I have lymphedema in my leg. I am obese. Can you please tell me what these bumps are? They do not hurt or itch. They dont bother me. I will send many pics
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
P'eau d'orange appearance of lymphedema

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history, seen the photos and understood the concerns.
These bumps are characteristic of lymphedema.
Lymphedema is due to inability of the lymphatic channels to carry the lymph form the tissue spaces.
Hence the fluid is retained. This balloons up the subcutaneous spaces but is limited by the attachment of the hair follicles, sebaceous glands and fibrous supporting strands giving this typical appearance as you have posted as photos.

I hope this answers your query.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon