How can lumbar and sacral spondyloarthritis be treated?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Sat, 2 Sep 2017 in Back Pain
Question: My son was diagnosed with Lumbar & Saeral Spondyloarthitis. What is this and what can be done for him.

His Mom XXXXXXX T. XXXXXXX My son's name is XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
connective tissue disorder

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The term spondyl refers to the vertebral column or back bone.

Spondyloarthritis is an umbrella or general term used to describe a group of connective tissue diseases that may affect the spine, joints and other areas of the body.
Connective tissue diseases refer to conditions that affect those aspect of the body that form the framework or hold it together/support structures eg collagen and elastin.

Arthritis refers to inflammation and damage of the bones/vertebra and possibly other joints.

In spondyloarthritis, there may also be involvement of areas outside of the spine such as the eye, intestinal tract or skin.

The disorders that fall under spondyloarthritis are: (1) ankylosing spondylitis- inflammation of spine particularly the lower back where attached to the pelvis

(2)reactive arthritis- this is inflammation of the joints that occur in response to the presence certain bacteria in the body eg chlamydia or salmonella or shigella or camylobacter

(3)psoriatic arthritis- arthritis that occurs with psoriasis (a skin condition)

(4)inflammatory bowel disease related arthritis- conditions of the bowel ,crohns or ulcerative colitis, may also have bone involvement.
He would have a previous history of one of these bowel issues

(5)undifferentiated spondylarthritis

Summary: it refers to different types of connective tissue diseases that may affect the bones in the back as well as other aspects of the body

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions