• question-icon

How can low vitamin D levels be managed?

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: My vitamin D levels are very low, I think it was in the teens. My doctor prescribed 2000 iU per day. I'm reading that this may be insufficient? What do you recommend and how long before I should expect a change in my levels. My cholesterol is also high 250. I'm reading vitamin b3 helps reduce it... What amount should I consider taking? Otherwise I have no other health issues.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin D and niacin dose

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

The recommended daily dose of vitamin D is up to 2000 IU. You can start taking Vitamin D at 2000 iu and check for blood vitamin D level in 3 months If the vitamin D blood levels has gone beyond 30 ng/no then there is no need to further increase the vitamin D intake. If the levels have not gone up to 30 ng/no then the dosage of vitamin D can be increased.
include diet rich in vitamin D like salmon, mackerel,vitamin fortified milk, orange juice etc.

Vitamin b3 or niacin help increasing good cholesterol HDL in the body. Daily recommended dose of niacin is 14 mg per day.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal